Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The IT Portfolio Manager is responsible for creating processes, governance and tools used to plan, create, assess, balance and provide transparency into their respective IT portfolio of projects and drive analysis on resource capacity and project demand, resource. The IT Portfolio Manager will also support business & technology partners by evaluating new initiatives against the overall strategic direction of the company and bring awareness to interdependencies for leadership decision making.The IT Portfolio Manager role sits within the Allstate Technology & Strategic Ventures (ATSV) PMO (Program Management Office) which oversees a portfolio of approximately $1 billion annually, with approximately 2,400 projects delivered. As a team of IT Portfolio Managers, we enable the delivery of projects across the global ATSV organization in support of business and technology partners. In addition to program and project delivery, we create a portfolio wide views of ATSV by leveraging consistent standards, tools and methodologies.The opportunity is to join our team of IT Portfolio Managers and take responsibility for one or more technology portfolios. For the given portfolio, the Portfolio Manager partners with key stakeholders in the business and technology teams to manage the project funnel, provide input around capacity planning, provide transparency into the health, spend and strategic alignment of the portfolio and support annual planning.The Portfolio Manager is also accountable for the development and communication of portfolio metrics that represent portfolio performance.
- Manage relationship with business and IT stakeholders - Act as primary liaison between the IT group, lines of business and other stakeholders with the goal of defining, planning, building and assessing the IT investment portfolio mix.
- Conduct portfolio wide analysis and advise on project/program pipeline and delivery risk, including but not limited to sequencing, dependencies, capacity, forecasting and the execution of quality and timely delivery.
- Design, develop, analyze and report on critical portfolio metrics ensuring that complicated information is delivered effectively and efficiently. Develop and present simple to moderately complex executive communications selecting the appropriate message for the audience.
- Monitor alignment of prioritized projects against resource capacity and partner with delivery teams to assist with balancing capacity and demand.
- Understand and contribute to decisions on portfolio issue resolution and risk mitigation.
- Drive and manage the project pipeline including facilitating the development of early and late stage estimates for accurate prioritization and alignment with business and technology strategies.
- Partner with Finance to support financial planning and forecasting – support annual planning process and ongoing monitoring to ensure accurate financial forecasting and analysis to enable investment decisions.
- Advisor to IT Leadership on portfolio health – analyze and articulate portfolio risk and budget variance.
- Champion existing processes and best practices.
- Capable of acting as a thought partner and trusted advisor in providing oversight of portfolio health and assessment of opportunities.
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to independently drive resolution of issues and challenges and shape your own work based on the unique demands of your specific portfolio.
- Curiosity to investigate industry standards and best practices and challenge the status quo and develop creative recommendations.
- Strong analytical skills, highly organized and excellent communication and interpersonal skills are paramount to this position.
- Education: College Degree (Preferred)
- 5 or more years of experience in progressively responsible information technology positions or relevant area of business (portfolio management, project/program management, resource management, financial analysis)
- Financial acumen with 3 or more years of experience in roles involving budgetary responsibility including forecasting and trending portfolio financials.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with ability to develop executive level communications
- Comfort with ambiguity and able to independently drive resolution of issues and challenges
- Three or more years of experience in which one or more of the following occurred:
- Demonstrated high competency in the execution of multiple large projects
- Demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership, with strong abilities in relationship management
- Gained experience in managing resources to meet goals across multiple projects and competing priorities
- Gained experience in leading multidiscipline, high-performance work teams/groups
- Demonstrated competency in developing efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems
- Have familiarity with SDLC and/or other recognized software development and project management methodologies.
- Experience working in a program management office (PMO) using project and portfolio management tools (e.g. MS Project, Jira, etc..)
- Excellent written/verbal communication and facilitation skills for communicating at all levels (employees and leaders); including strong presentation skills
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Experience in a global business environment preferred
- Relevant project management certification i.e. PRINCE, PMP.
- Experience of working in the financial services and/or IT sector Experience of working in the financial services and/or IT sector
- Previous experience in a Portfolio Management role
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.