Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds and operates the cloud application development and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate’s Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
As a Platform Engineer Senior Consultant, he/she will be part of an engineering team primarily working in a paired programming team, collaborating with different team members. He/she will split time evenly in executing operational tasks to maintain the platform and servicing customer requests; and engineering new solutions to automate the build and operational tasks. He/she will serve as pair anchors being advocates of paired programming, test driven development, infrastructure engineering, and continuous delivery on the team.
- Builds, manages and operates the infrastructure and configuration of the platform infrastructure and application environments with a focus on automation and infrastructure as code
- Builds, manages and operates the continuous delivery framework and tools
- Builds, manages and operates the infrastructure as a service layer (hosted and cloud based platforms) that supports the different platform services
- Writes and builds continuous delivery pipelines to manage and automate the lifecycle of the different platform components
- Serves as an anchor for developing comprehensive monitoring solutions to provide full visibility to the different platform components using tools and services like Graphite, ELK, Datadog, New Relic and other similar tools
- Serves as an anchor for developing log analytics solutions to provide logging-as-a-service to hosted applications based on open source solutions
- Integrates different components and develops new services with a focus on open source to allow a minimal friction developer interaction with the platform and application services
- Evaluates performance trends and expected changes in demand and capacity; and establish the appropriate scalability plans
- Identifies and troubleshoots any availability and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from hardware, operating environment, network and application
- Leads post mortem activities to identify systemic solutions to improve the overall operations of the platform
- Recommends and improves technology related policies and procedures
- Two-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related area, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of application development or infrastructure engineering experience
- Hands-on style - willingness and competent in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes.
- Will be working primarily in an Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Identify creative solutions for technical support issues
- Able to communicate effectively across groups of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to present ideas and solutions
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.