Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Quantitative Research and Analytics (QR&A) is responsible for aligning with and contributing to corporate objectives by identifying and developing growth and profitability opportunities that will enable Allstate to generate profitable market share growth. The Infrastructure Expert is responsible for partnering with technology to ensure QR&A’s infrastructure is stable and performing.
The Data Analytics Engineer - Infrastructure Expert position demands a balanced combination of distributed systems administration and software development experience. Here, you will be challenged with problems regarding stability of high performing distributed systems, defining technology strategies, driving and influencing technology choices, and establishing standards and policies. The role involves high collaboration with Allstate Technology teams. You will be creating, setting and maintaining standards and best practices and patterns of development used within QR&A’s infrastructure technology space. You will partner closely with Allstate Technology teams to provide design guidelines, impart knowledge on technical trends and serve as a Subject Matter Expert on systems configuration and integration, capacity planning, performance analysis and optimization.
As an industry expert, provides direction to senior leadership and AOR partners on technical solutions, concepts and platforms.
- Provides oversight for QR&A’s infrastructure technology and domains.
- Ensures QR&A’s analytic infrastructure systems are stable and performing correctly.
- Works closely with Allstate Data Scientists and other QR&A users to build a deep understanding of their current / future needs and is a strong advocate with Technology to ensure those needs are met.
- Works closely with key Technology partners to provide ongoing evaluation of infrastructure and services capabilities both on premise and in the cloud.
- Partners closely with peers in Allstate Technology teams to influence and shape the evolving strategic infrastructure needs aligned with desired business objectives.
- Works with Technology to stay current with emerging trends in systems development and delivery to ensure that QR&A organization uses the most appropriate platform / technologies.
- Engages in long-term technical planning and drives Infrastructure strategy and standards to meet QR&A’s advanced analytics needs in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Promotes technical standards, guidelines, Best Practices and quality control measures for enabling and implementing software systems in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Educates peers in QR&A on standards, processes, and tools both within and external to research / experimentation zones.
- Partners with Technology and QR&A Data Science teams to optimize operations through automation for code deployments, packaging and other repeatable tasks
- Establishes test cases and scripts for validation and consistent operations following infrastructure and other changes.
- Develops and owns security policies for QR&A in alignment with enterprise standards and our Technology partners (Including Firewall rules)
Create, manage, and own Docker / Domino images and strategy for QR&A
Bachelor’s or Master’s/MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Architecture, or equivalent skills
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent skills & ability.
- Working knowledge on current hardware especially for (distributed) numerical computation; this might include GPUs, FPGAs, Intel MIC, network layer, storage arrays, cluster file systems.
- Experience in analyzing / tuning performance of such computations (esp. multithread/multiprocess) is desired.
- Broad knowledge of advanced environment monitoring & management tools, performance modeling tools, capacity analysis tools, and other advanced modeling and trending tools in a distributed environment.
- Knowledge of UNIX System Administration and networking including working knowledge of TCP IP, DNS, HTTPS/SSL, load balancing etc.
- Working experience in server configuration management and virtual private cloud setups (esp. for distributed computing; example hipaa-compliant setups for sufficient data protection) and public cloud (AWS)
- Understanding of container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.)
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies in Hadoop ecosystem.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Advanced knowledge of professional standards and technology trends within the analytics industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Passion to learn new technologies and languages.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.