Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The media team develops and executes external communications strategies that drive overall business goals and enhance Allstate’s reputation. The team’s focus is on generating positive news stories while also working to anticipate, identify and effectively manage issues that might affect Allstate’s reputation among consumers, customers and opinion leaders.
The Expert for the media team provides communications counsel; manages internal and external communication strategies while serving as a resource for news media; develops and directs communication strategies and initiatives for internal and external clients; and managers public company disclosures. .
- Manage financial communication and other public company disclosures to support Allstate’s overall business strategy and successes. Proficiency in Word and PowerPoint as well as strong proofreading skills required.
- Develop strong working relationships with colleagues in Corporate Relations, Investor Relations, Law and Regulation and Corporate Accounting.
- Assist in managing annual report, annual meeting, earnings-related announcements and other SEC-required disclosures (e.g., business transactions, catastrophes, board and named executive officer announcements). Maintain forward calendar of upcoming financial communications.
- Write and format first drafts of news releases and organize materials for executive review. Coordinate approvals with Law and Accounting.. Work with PR Newswire and other vendors to issue news releases. Manage postings to Allstate Newsroom and Investor Relations websites.
- Consult on financial-communication matters to Corporate Relations partners and management by, for example, assessing media coverage trends.
- Collaborate on annual report production. Work with CR multimedia team to source copy and photographs for interactive proxy statement and annual report. Proofread interactive proxy.
- Support annual report decision process by researching and providing first drafts of audience analysis, theme options, cover design options, timetables and annual report practices and legal requirements.
- Research financial communication topics for CR, Law, IR and Accounting. Serve as an Allstate data source and response coordinator.
- Serve as an Allstate spokesperson and internal consultant on financial and corporate topics, including media relations for Allstate’s life/retirement business and Allstate Investments. Work with Law and Accounting departments to ensure accuracy of content, and obtain approvals.
- Produce schedule requests, briefings, and same-day media reports for senior leaders. Update issues lists and message maps used by senior executives for media interviews. Manage Executive Speeches landing page on the Allstate newsroom to broaden the audience.
- Represent Allstate at the National Investor Relations Institute, keeping the company on the cutting edge of IR trends.
Support Internal Business Partnerships
- Support communication initiatives for Allstate’s Chief Financial Officer and Chief Risk Officer and their organizations. Develop communication plans, provide first drafts of memos and speeches, contribute proofreading and technical support.
- Assist in ongoing support of Finance and Investor Relations.
- Assist in drafting internal business unit communications that deliver key messages and ensure effective two-way interaction with business unit audiences. Support internal events such as quarterly communication meetings, leadership conferences and talent-development projects.
- Education/Experience: Journalism, communications or related undergraduate and/or graduate degree. Relevant work experience, knowledge of corporate finance and a facility with numbers required. Experience in managing reputation at an enterprise level preferred.
- External Communication Skills:
- Media Relations: Track record of leveraging media channels to build corporate reputation and help hieve business objectives.
- Issues/Reputation Management: Experience in managing reputational risks and issues, including communicating with key stakeholders in crisis situations and developing communication plans under deadline pressure.
- Business Acumen: Knowledge of the insurance and financial services industry with special emphasis on working in a fast-paced, complex corporate environment. Facility with numbers an absolute necessity. Familiarity with corporate accounting a plus.
- Management Skills: Demonstrated potential for managing projects and cross-functional teams, through strong people skills, leadership traits and calm responses to unpredictable events. Fluent presentation skills and confident executive presence required for meetings with senior leaders.
- Writing Skills: Ability to write with clarity, accuracy and a knack for storytelling. Strong proofreading skills required. Proficiency with Word and PowerPoint a priority.
- Communication Strategy and Planning: Includes experience with setting objectives, developing long- and short-range plans, measurement and analysis, identifying issues and risks, change management that aligns with our strategic vision and priorities.
- Reputation and Brand Management: Experience proactively managing and identifying reputations risks that have or could have impact on Allstate’s Reputation.
- Internal Communication Skills: Experience developing and executing internal communication strategies which create an understanding of our corporate priorities, giving context around issues and initiatives, building employee engagement and helping people to understand their role and how it contributes to the success of Allstate.
- Public Social Responsibility: Experience executing PSR strategies and initiatives across the enterprise or region and implementing best practices; developing and managing community involvement strategies related to corporate contributions, multicultural outreach and volunteerism.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.