Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Platform Engineer is a full stack engineer who builds the cloud application development and hosting platforms for Allstate. This role will have the primary accountability of owning, developing, implementing and operating Allstate’s Cloud platforms. This role will also encompass developing, building, administering, and deploying self-service tools that enable Allstate developers to build, deploy and operate cloud native applications.
As a Platform Engineer Expert, he/she will be a team and area anchor for engineering teams primarily working in a paired programming team, collaborating with different team members. He/she serves as a thought leader in advocating technology solutions and engineering practices that define the product engineering space. He/she evaluates new products, software and projects; and leads the effort to adapt these technologies into the platform. He/she leads cross product team and cross engineering team collaboration and ensure the integration and compatibility of services. He/she helps build and establish the engineering practices across team with a focus on system and operational efficiency. He/she will serve as an organizational anchor to establish practices for paired programming, test driven development, engineering craftsmanship and continuous delivery on the team.
Scope and Responsibilities
As part of their day to day responsibilities, the candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversees and develops the platform as a service and application hosting environment aligning them with business strategies and requirements
- Represents developers and key customers in the product design and lifecycle process
- Champions the engineering practices and helping teams define and setup frameworks for infrastructure as code and automation
- Establishes the strategy and manages complex technical designs in engineering and operating platform infrastructure
- Oversees and develops the strategy and manages complex designs for he continuous delivery framework and tools, and acting as a subject matter expert on CI/CD for developer teams
- Establishes strategy and executes engineering roadmaps around infrastructure as a service; executes strategic engineering proof of concepts around infrastructure platforms
- Defines and develops new products and services that provides functions-“as-a-service” to developers and customers; championing a seamless user experience for direct customers
- Develops a strategy for application and infrastructure monitoring for platforms and applications aligning with enterprise strategy and overall industry trends and direction
- Owns, manages and maintains the high availability designs and engineering for the different platforms across the company
- Champions technology and open source technology internal and external to the company
- Hands-on style - willingness and competent in producing necessary changes in our infrastructure and processes.
- Will be working primarily in a Extreme Programming environment and must be willing to work in a paired programming/engineering model
- Able to facilitate diverse teams, multi-task, and work under pressure to meet aggressive schedule targets
- Able to work effectively across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Identify creative solutions for technical support issues
- 5+ years of experience in software development or systems administration
- BA/BS degree in technical field or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Passion for working with new technology and an aptitude for learning.
- Write code in multiple languages (Java, C++,Java script, Node.js)
- Great written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experienced in virtualized infrastructure (VMWare, Openstack, AWS)
- Familiarity with IT Operations(configuration management, logging and altering, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis)
Open source contributions (include Github account in resume)
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.